Corn salsa and spicy cocktail sauce make a bed for Jumbo shrimp to rest on in this yummi appetizer that’s easy to make and fun to eat!
Today is the final day of Kick Off to Summer Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Lauren of From Gate to Plate and Summer of Summer Scraps. It’s been a week of food, fun, and giveaways! If you missed any of our posts, you can catch up with everything HERE.
One of my very favorite summer foods is a freshly roasted ear of sweet corn.
Sweet corn hasn’t come into season yet this year, so I used a bag of thawed (from frozen) corn niblets for today’s recipe. Doing so makes it possible to enjoy these shrimp and corn salsa shooters ANY time of year. How perfect is that?!
If you’ve never steamed shrimp before, it’s super important that you know how easy it is to do, but how equally simple it is to over cook them. To avoid rubbery shrimp (which nobody wants – even the dog won’t eat them), follow these easy steps:
Tips for Steaming Shrimp Like a Pro
- Set up an ice bath before you start cooking the shrimp. To do that, fill a large bowl 2/3rds full with ice cubes and then add cold water into the bowl about an inch deep.
- Place raw shrimp into a steamer basket and set it over a pan of simmering water. You don’t need a full rolling boil in your pan to cook the shrimp, because that water won’t touch the shrimp anyway. The steam does all of the work, and it only needs 3-4 minutes tops to do that. As soon as the shrimp have turned a pretty shade of pink/white, they’re finished.
- After cooking, immediately drain the water and place the shrimp into the ice bath. This will stop the cooking process and keep your shrimp happy and snappy!
After making the corn salsa and steaming the shrimp, it’s just a matter of assembling everything into whatever cute mini glassware you have. If you don’t want to mess with glass, just use plastic shot glasses or paper snack cups like the ones I used to hold the pistachios in THIS POST.
These corn salsa shooters are VERY popular, so be sure to make enough for everyone at the party to enjoy them.
Shrimp and Corn Salsa Shooters
Jumbo shrimp sit on a bed of cocktail sauce and spicy corn salsa. These appetizers will be the hit of your summer parties!
- 12 large shrimp, peeled, cleaned, and steamed (or grilled)
- 1 cup cocktail sauce
- 2 cups corn niblets (cooked) (about 4 ears corn on the cob)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and minced
- 1 small red onion, diced small
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cilantro (or flat leaf parsley), roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- To a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients for the corn salsa. Use a spoon to combine well.
- Chill in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- To assemble shrimp and corn salsa shooters, place 1-2 tablespoons of cocktail sauce into the bottom of a shot glass or small snack cup. Top with 2 tablespoons of corn salsa and a piece of cooked shrimp.
- Serve and enjoy
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 381kcal Calories from fat 50|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 6g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 12g||48%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|
Before you run off to buy the ingredients to make these shrimp and corn salsa shooters, check out today’s posts from my blogger friends in this great event. Everyone’s worked really hard to make this week a special one, so it would be awesome if you’d please show them how much you’ve enjoyed this week by leaving them a little comment while you’re there. 🙂
Grilled Garlic and Basil Rubbed Pork Chops by From Gate to Plate.
Mango Lassi by The Haas Machine.
15 Barbecue Favorites by Summer Scraps.
Greek Pork Kebabs with Tzatziki by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks.
Favorite Popcorn Balls by Forty Eighteen.
Making Memorial Day a Family Affair by Bits of Ivory.
Sea Breeze Punch by Keep it Simple, Sweetie.
Steak Sandwich Stackers by Lady Behind the Curtain.
Memorial Day Whoopie Pies by The Freshman Cook.
Steak Verde Tacos by Clarks Condensed.
Red, White and Blue Sangria by Love in the Kitchen.
Sriracha Coleslaw by It’s a Keeper.
Lemon Pomegranate Punch by Food Lust People Love.
Peanut Butter Cup S’mores by Little Dairy on the Praire.
Teriyaki Chicken and Vegetable Kebabs by Like Mother, Like Daughter.
Vintage Patriotic Book Craft by We Like to Learn as We Go.
The giveaway that was originally part of this post has since ended. The entry form and giveaway details have been removed from the text of this post.