Turkey stuffed zucchini boats are zucchini halves, filled with lean turkey and healthy vegetables, topped with feta cheese for a salty bite of goodness. Even kids love this veggie filled, protein packed meal! It’s low carb, gluten free, and is adaptable to a meatless, vegetarian or vegan meal.
Today’s recipe is one that I make so often, I almost didn’t post it, thinking it may be too boring to share. Then I smacked myself and realized that I’m not writing these recipes for me, I’m writing them for you, and maybe you haven’t seen the healthy goodness in these turkey stuffed zucchini boats.
So hey, Becca… share the incredible recipe with your friends!
Prepping the zucchini
Wash your zucchini and slice them in half lengthwise. Then use a melon baller or spoon to remove the seeds and enough of the pulp that you’ll be able to stuff some turkey and veggies in there.
The best part about these stuffed zucchini boats is the versatility and adaptability. If you’re not into ground turkey, you can use any type of meat you want, from chicken or beef to lamb or venison. For a vegetarian option, simply omit the meat and stuff the boats with veggies and lentils. If you’re a vegan, omit the cheese. See what I mean? It’s so easy to please!
For the veggie portion of the mixture, I took advantage of some great ones from my weekly organic produce delivery, including organic mushrooms, red bell pepper, zucchini, and yellow onion. Just try to cut everything up into somewhat equal sized pieces so that it all cooks evenly. I use heart healthy grapeseed oil, but of course, you can saute in any type of oil that you want. Butter or bacon grease would be delightfully awesome choices, too, but a little higher in calories, fat, and cholesterol.
Are you ready to ride down the river in these turkey stuffed zucchini boats?
Come on… let’s feed your stomach!
After you print the recipe, be sure to grab a dessert recipe from my recipe index. I think my sugar-free chocolate peanut butter pudding parfait or chocolate strawberry fool would be perfect options for dessert.
If you make this recipe, please come back and leave me a comment to let me know your thoughts!
Turkey Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Zucchini are hollowed out and stuffed with a healthy vegetable mixture, then topped with salty feta cheese and baked up for yummi goodness.
- 1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil (or other oil of your choice)
- 8 ounces (1/2 pound) lean ground turkey or other ground meat of your choice
- 2 medium zucchini, washed, ends removed, and sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, washed, seeded, and diced small
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, washed and diced (any variety will work. I used baby portobellos)
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, peeled and diced small
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less, to your taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more or less, to your taste)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (omit for vegan eaters)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lay zucchini halves on a rimmed baking sheet or in a casserole dish; set aside.
- Add oil to a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add ground turkey and cook 4-5 minutes, or until partially browned, breaking up meat into pieces with a spoon as it cooks. Reduce heat to medium and add all vegetables, plus salt and pepper. Cook 6-7 minutes, or until onions are translucent and vegetables are softened. Taste and add more seasoning, if desired.
- Spoon mixture evenly into prepared zucchini boats. Top with feta cheese, if using, then baked for 15 minutes.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 474kcal Calories from fat 310|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 34g||52%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||60%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|