If you love crab meat and cheesy omelettes are your idea of a great breakfast, you’ve come to the right place! My recipe for this cheesy crabmeat omelette is fancy enough to serve for a brunch party, but easy and quick enough for weekday breakfasts, too!
Despite the fact that it’s the most important meal of the day, I’ve never been one to partake of breakfast very often. Actually, that’s not true. I love breakfast…in it’s completely unhealthy form. Start me off with a hot cup of coffee and my favorite flavored creamer. Then place a plate of crisp bacon, French toast or pancakes overflowing with syrup, a bowl of Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch, or just about anything cheese-laden in front of me and you’ll see me smilin’ from ear to ear, ready to take on the meal with pure gusto. I’ll even eat healthy breakfasts, as long as someone else makes them for me. This from the girl who adores cooking and baking… weird, right? Maybe it’s because it’s just too early to be playing with hot pans and grease at that hour. Or maybe I’m just stinkin’ lazy. Please applaud honesty for the win.
Anyhoo, my feelings for breakfast changed drastically after I developed this recipe. It’s SORT of healthy, as far as cheesy fattening things go. Plus, I portion controlled some of it. No, not the English muffin…don’t mess with my carb addiction. That’s a challenge for another day. I’m talking about that gorgeous omelette up there. Fluffy eggs, some cheesy goodness, and get this…it’s loaded with veggies and seafood! Hello Mr. Food Pyramid…I’m delighted to appease you.
Cheesy Crabmeat Omelette Recipe
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon milk (I used 1%)
- 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine, divided
- 2 ounces cream cheese (I used low-fat)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh or canned crab meat, drained
- 2 Tablespoons minced mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon minced onion
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place softened cream cheese into small mixing bowl and set aside.
- In small omelette pan or frying pan over medium heat, melt 1/2 of butter or margarine. Add mushrooms and onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg and milk in a small bowl and set aside.
- Transfer cooked mushroom mixture into bowl with cream cheese, then carefully clean inside of pan with paper toweling. Place pan back onto medium heat and add remaining butter to melt.
- Add salt and pepper to cream cheese and mushroom mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour egg mixture into pan and cook until edges are set and the center has started to set up, about 3 minutes. Place crab mixture evenly down center of omelette. Gently slide a spatula under outside third of omelette and carefully fold it over the crab mixture. Use spatula to fold remaining third over the egg you just folded so that the filling is contained inside of the omelette.
- Use your spatula to flip entire omelette over and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until egg has completed cooking.
- Slide from pan onto serving plate and enjoy!