Apple pie is a lovely thing, but if you want apple pie flavors in a form that’s perfect for packing into a lunch box, and with a sweet crispy crust, these fried apple pie egg rolls are exactly what you need.
If you were around my Facebook page last week, you may have seen me mention that I was going to implement a couple of exciting changes to the format of my blog posts. One of those changes involves me creating reader recipe requests!
I love recipe development and since this site is really a recipe database for you, I think it’s only fitting that there should be a few of your favorites here as well. If you have a favorite food that you don’t yet have a recipe for, use my contact form to let me know about it and I’ll see what I can do to create one for you. The same goes for recipes that you may want to be transformed into a healthier state. Many of my low carb recipes were created because of my desire to have delicious desserts without needing to buy larger clothes.
Not too long ago, a sweet reader named Lisa contacted me to let me know that her two boys absolutely love apple pie, but that they really don’t care for the crust as much as they do the filling.
Wait… Apple pie without the crust?
Those bowls are seriously delicious, you guys!
Anyway, Lisa wrote back with a big smiley face at the top of her email and said, “Oh, let me rephrase. They like pies that are fattening and fried.” Well alrighty then. If it’s fried, hand held, sinfully delicious apple pie that they want, then that’s what they’ll get!
I apologize for the “up close and personal, a tad out of focus” picture. I originally published this post about 3 years ago with my point and shoot camera and NO food photography skills. I did edit it up the best I could, but I haven’t had an opportunity to make them again because I really don’t eat deep fried foods any more. Anyone want to volunteer to eat them if I make them again?
These fried apple pie egg rolls are fun to eat and delicious, too!
Oh, and I suggest serving them with some ice cream or dipped into homemade caramel sauce!
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- peanut oil (or other high smoke point oil), for frying
- 3 cups baking apples, peeled and diced (about 3 medium apples)
- 1.875 ounces (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure lemon juice
- Add all filling ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir well to combine.
- Place one egg roll wrapper onto a hard work surface in front of you, with one corner pointing down towards you (so the wrapper looks like a diamond).
- Place 2 heaping Tablespoons of filling slightly below the center of each wrapper. Fold in both sides to the center and start at the bottom, tightly rolling up the wrapper, making sure that the sides stay tucked in to avoid leakage. Use a dab of water to secure the tip of the wrapper to itself.
- Repeat steps with remaining filling and wrappers.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven, deep skillet, or deep fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Fry each egg roll for 4-5 minutes or until browned and crispy, turning occasionally to make sure all side get browned. Remove from oil and drain briefly on paper toweling before serving.
- Delicious with ice cream or homemade caramel sauce on the side!