The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies will bring ooey gooey happiness to your next get together, or you can keep them all to yourself. Get ready to bake up something truly awesome.
The best chocolate chip cookies are truly a claim to culinary fame. How do people who claim to have the “world’s best” _______ (fill in the blank) actually PROVE that their dish is indeed the best one in the known world?
We feel like this is as simple and taking a bite, savoring and sharing. These cookies fit the bill and are one of our most requested bring along for family gatherings. Family knows best!
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies 101
One of the requirements for the best cookies is easy to pull together. These cookies also are soft, but with a great chewy texture and a buttery, chocolate loaded flavor. What you’ll need:
- Flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, unsalted butter, shortening, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, eggs and bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks.
- You are welcome to substitute for alternative flours such as a gluten-free baking blend flour. You can also swap to make these dairy free. If you desire semi-sweet chocolate, we get it, but we prefer bittersweet for this combination.
- COOKIE PRO TIP: Allow your cookies to cool for a minimum of 2 minutes before scooping them off to tracking to wire cooling racks.
OUR SECRET INGREDIENT
We add a touch of cinnamon to these chocolate chip cookies, use bittersweet chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet and we tweak the fat ratio a bit, leaving them tender on the inside and crispy on the outside … just the way a great chocolate chip cookie recipe should be.
Once we figured out the secret to the best chocolate chip cookies, we moved on to make the best ever brownies, too. 😉
Store, savor and save your cookies
How to properly store your cookies: Cookies are good in an air tight container, stored at room temperature for about 3 days. Make sure to allow your cookies to completely cool before storing. If you want to keep them from sticking together, a layer of wax paper in between each layer does nicely.
Can I freeze chocolate chip cookies? Yes. Place your cookie on a flat pan and place in the freezer. Once frozen through, place your cookies in a flat bottom container and separate layers with parchment paper or wax paper. This is actually fabulous if you live alone and don’t want to demolish 3 dozen cookies in one week. ????
If I want my cookies warm? The best method we’ve found is to place your cookies back on a cookie sheet in the over for about 4-5 minutes at around 300 degrees. There is a chance your cookies will crisp up a little more, but they are still delicious.
These truly are the BEST chocolate chip cookies.
The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 16 oz. all-purpose flour , sifted
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 8 oz. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 Tablespoons shortening
- 6 oz. granulated sugar
- 8 oz. packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks
- Heat oven to 350 F. (325 convection)
- Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla on high speed until creamy and combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and yolk, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in flour mixture on low speed or by hand. Do not over mix! Stir in chocolate chips/chunks.
- Use a medium cookie scoop (2 Tablespoon size) to place 12 balls of dough on the pan, evenly spaced.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes. Remove pans from oven and allow to stand for 2 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.