Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie has ground turkey and fresh vegetables cooked in gravy, topped with creamy mashed sweet potatoes. This easy shepherd’s pie recipe is a 30 minute casserole recipe that can be enjoyed any time of the year. It’s especially perfect as a St. Patrick’s Day dinner recipe, and a great use for Thanksgiving leftovers, too!
This is a Weight Watcher’s friendly dinner casserole recipe, with just 5 Smart Points per serving!
Cooking from scratch is something I enjoy doing, but truthfully, I work such long hours that sometimes, it’s just easier to make semi-homemade meals. As long as the convenience foods I use don’t have a lot of chemical preservatives, I don’t mind using them. Most of my meals from scratch are made on weekends, when there is very little else going on. Oh, and I love making casseroles with leftovers, too. That was my mom’s forte – her best casserole recipes came from things lurking in the fridge!
No matter what time of the year it is, I crave dinner casseroles especially ones that include the “foods of fall”, like sweet potatoes, apple pie, stuffing, roast turkey. Because I don’t want to wait months for a Thanksgiving turkey dinner, I created this easy sweet potato shepherd’s pie casserole recipe. It’s got the flavors I love, but it comes together in 30 minutes instead of the 3 hours that a full turkey and trimmings dinner requires.
Sweet potato shepherd’s pie is the perfect solution for a crazy busy life. Can you relate to the busy schedule?
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie Shortcuts
By using prepared mashed sweet potatoes, you can cut 25 minutes from the dinner prep, because you won’t have to peel, boil, or mash any potatoes.
Nothing compares to homemade mashed potatoes, but when I’m in a hurry, I use the Simply Potatoes products. I find them in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. Taste wise, I think they’re really good, and time wise, you can’t beat them. Because they have varieties like shredded hash browns, mashed potatoes (regular and sweet), and diced potatoes, it takes all of the prep work and mess out of the picture. They’re great for making quick meals during the week. I use them in slow cooker recipes, and even just as simple side dishes on their own.
Brian and I love brinner (breakfast for dinner), so I use the prepared hash browns to make my Potato Pancakes recipe!When I created the sweet potato shepherd’s pie casserole recipe, I knew that I had loads of fresh, organic veggies to use up, so I added a bunch of them. Rainbow carrots, celery, mushrooms and onion, plus some frozen peas went into the mixture.
If you’re not into all of those veggies, this recipe can easily be adapted to use whatever you have on hand or the veggies your family likes to eat. Picky kids won’t eat the peas? No worries, just leave them out! But make sure to pat yourself on the back for getting them to eat those mashed sweet potatoes on the top of the pie, because that’s a veggie that’s loaded with nutrition! Here are some sweet facts on sweet potatoes:
FOOD FACTS – Sweet Potatoes
- High in vitamins B6, C, and D. Vitamin D is the one that we get from adequate sunlight, so if you’re feeling the effects of Seasonal Affective Disorder this winter, eat some sweet potatoes and watch your mood rise! They’re also loaded with iron and they’re a good source of magnesium.
- One cup of sweet potatoes has just 96 calories, and can be walked off in just 15 minutes (and a medium walk pace).
- Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet-tasting but their natural sugars are slowly released into the bloodstream, helping to ensure a balanced and regular source of energy, without the blood sugar spikes linked to fatigue and weight gain.
If you are the type of parent that sneaks veggies into dinner so your picky eaters won’t notice, this sweet potato shepherd’s pie is the one to do it with. Cover up the ground turkey, gravy, and veggies with a layer of delicious mashed sweet potatoes and watch your kids ask for second helpings. A dreamy little dinner, low in cost to make and super convenient. What’s not to love about it?
Want more recipes to make with sweet potatoes? Be sure to check out my side dishes Pinterest board!
Southern Sweet Potato Casserole with marshmallows is one of my favorites!
Please scroll down below the recipe to see more delicious dinner casserole recipes from my blogging friends!
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
This is a Weight Watcher’s friendly recipe! Based on the ingredients noted in the recipe, one serving of shepherd’s pie casserole has 5 Weight Watchers Smart Points (based on the Freestyle program).
Easy Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie Casserole
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil or other neutral flavored oil
- 1 pound ground turkey or leftover turkey meat 97% lean or better
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 medium carrots or parsnips diced
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 oz chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more if desired)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (more if desired)
- 2 cups prepared mashed sweet potatoes
- finely chopped flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place oil into a large, heavy bottomed pot, over medium high heat. Add ground turkey and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add all vegetables and cook over medium heat for 7-8 minutes, or until turkey has browned and vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle flour over the turkey/vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Allow to cook for 1 minute, then slowly whisk in the chicken stock. Add all seasonings and bring mixture to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, then transfer mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Use a spatula or back of a spoon to spread sweet potatoes evenly over the turkey/vegetable mixture. Use the tines of a fork to create decorative ridges in the potatoes, if desired.
- Bake at 400 F. for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are warmed through and lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle top with chopped parsley, if desired.
Delicious Dinner Casserole Recipes
- Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole from Barbara Bakes
- Spinach & Chicken Enchiladas Bake from Tara Teaspoon
- Chicken Noodle Soup Casserole from Frugal Foodie Mama
- Pizza Pasta Casserole from I Heart Eating
- Ham & Mac Casserole from Around My Family Table
- Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole from Bread Booze Bacon
- Chicken Noodle Casserole from Kleinworth & Co.
- Spinach & Mushroom Alfredo Baked Ziti from It Bakes Me Happy
- Chicken Tortilla Casserole from Home.Made.Interest.
- Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole Recipe from The Life Jolie Blog
- Chicken & Spinach Pasta Bake from The Two Bite Club
- Pizza Tortellini Skillet Casserole from Cooking on the Front Burner
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli & Rice Casserole from House of Nash Eats