Healthy slow cooker mango chicken is made in the slow cooker or Crock Pot, leaving you time to work, play, or be anywhere except standing in your kitchen over a stove top! It’s low in fat and calories, making it Weight Watcher friendly, too.
Please don’t blame me if your family starts begging you to make more slow cooker recipes. I can’t help it, gang. I’ve fallen in love with my slow cooker. It’s too stinkin’ easy to use!
After I started using my Hamilton Beach slow cooker, I realized that slow cookers are not created equal. I really think you’re going to want to own a slow cooker like mine.
The slow cooker I used to own would cook things too quickly! It would get so hot that my meals would end up dry and tasteless by the time I got home from work.
The one I use now has 3 different options for cooking. You can set it to cook by temperature (low or high), by time, or use the meat probe and cook it to what ever temperature you want. That’s been my favorite way to use it. Once the food reaches the desired temperature, the slow cooker puts itself into “keep warm” mode. The food stops cooking, so it won’t dry out. It’s awesome!
The first time I used the probe was when I made Italian beef sandwiches. Talk about tender and falling apart… geez! Brian and I scarfed down a 3 pound roast in 2 days.
At first, I thought the probe could only be used if it was pierced into a piece of meat, but I tried it last week with jalapeno chicken beer cheese soup. As long as the probe doesn’t touch the bottom or sides of the slow cooker, it works perfectly!
That’s why I knew it would be perfect to use with this healthy slow cooker chicken recipe, too.
I put everything into the slow cooker in the morning and left the house to run some errands. When I got home 5 hours later, the desired internal temperature of 175 degrees had been achieved and I was good to shred my chicken! NOTE: Normal safe cooking temperature for chicken is 165 degrees, but in order to be able to shred the chicken easily with a fork, I cook it longer. If you’re making this recipe in a conventional slow cooker that doesn’t have a probe thermometer, just cook it long enough that you don’t see any pink and your chicken shreds easily.
Serve this healthy slow cooker chicken over some cooked whole grain rice, or serve it in flour or corn tortillas for a Caribbean Mexican fusion meal!
Healthy Slow Cooker Mango Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup corn niblets (I used frozen)
- 2 sweet bell peppers (I used red and green) seeded and diced
- 2 mangoes peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 16 ounces (2 cups) mango salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (more if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more if desired)
- Place chicken into bottom of slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours, or until no pink remains.
- Use two forks to shred chicken.
- Serving suggestion: Serve over cooked rice or stuff into flour or corn tortillas and serve as burritos or tacos.