Heart healthy roasted garlic chicken is juicy, and loaded with the flavors of roasted garlic and butter! It’s comfort food for a Sunday gathering, or just a simple weeknight dinner.
This heart healthy chicken recipe is being shared in celebration of today’s holiday, National Garlic Day!
If the aroma of 40 cloves of fresh garlic, rosemary, and thyme don’t grab your senses, the taste will have you CRUSHING for this delicious dinner!
A couple of important notes about this heart healthy garlic roasted chicken recipe:
First of all, this is my lousy photo disclaimer:
I’m not impressed at all with my photos in this post. So please close your eyes and visualize a gorgeous, perfect plate of herb and garlic infused, crispy skinned, chicken. Thank you. I think that looks much better than the pile of, umm… cluck cluck, that you see pictured here.
I finished cooking the chicken late in the afternoon, rushing to get photos taken before the sun went below the horizon. Of course, I neglected the opportunity to do any fancy plating. UGH. I’m embarrassed, ashamed, and VERY sorry, but I wanted you to have this chicken recipe in your life as soon as possible.
So here is the heart healthy chicken, in its half-naked condition.
Secondly, I don’t use the term heart healthy lightly. Check out these healthy facts about garlic:
FOOD FACTS – GARLIC
Numerous studies and clinical research show that garlic consumption is healthy for humans. One search with Google results in millions of hits, and far more information than my brain can consume in one sitting.
Garlic has long been hailed for its healing powers, especially against infectious diseases like cold and flu, but studies also show that consumption of (primarily raw) garlic can:
- Reduce risk for heart diseases like heart attack and stroke.
- Help to maintain good levels of cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Help to protect against cancer, especially brain and prostate cancer.
WHAT’S THAT SMELL?
Many people believe that the therapeutic effects of garlic come from sulfur-containing compounds. The very same compounds that give garlic its stinky odor.
Lastly, I love this recipe because it’s so incredibly easy to prepare. Using bone-in chicken parts helps the chicken to cook more quickly, but if you want to impress your dinner guests, you can roast a whole chicken using the same method.
If you’re cooking a whole chicken, place the cloves inside of the empty chicken cavity.
Enjoy this heart healthy garlic roasted chicken recipe!
Heart Healthy Roasted Garlic Chicken Recipe
Fresh rosemary and thyme are added along with 40 cloves of garlic to make this roast chicken one of the healthiest, juiciest, and most delicious dinners you'll ever eat!
- 3-4 pound frying chicken, cut into parts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Grapeseed or extra virgin olive oil
- 40 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pat chicken pieces dry with paper toweling, then season the skin sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot (such as a Dutch oven) over medium high heat until it's very hot, but not smoking. Place chicken pieces skin side down into oil and cook 3-4 minutes, or until chicken releases easily from the pan and is golden brown. You may need to do this in batches so as not to overcrowd the chicken. Transfer browned chicken pieces temporarily to a platter, reduce heat to medium, and add garlic cloves to the pan. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally so garlic doesn't burn. Turn off heat from burner and place chicken pieces skin side up on top of garlic. Place sprigs of rosemary and thyme around the chicken, cover pot with a lid, and place onto middle rack of the hot oven. Cook for 40 minutes, or until cooking thermometer inserted into breast reads 163 degrees. Remove pot from oven and allow chicken to rest on serving platter for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Here are some foodie friends who are also celebrating National Garlic Day with garlicky recipes:
- Black Garlic Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream from girlichef.
- Caesar Tartlets with Sweet Garlic Butter Crusts from Karen’s Kitchen Stories.
- Easy Garlic Infused Olive Oil from MarocMama.
- Garlic and Herb Lamb Chops from Healthy. Delicious.
- Garlic Bread from My Catholic Kitchen.
- Garlic Dill Roasted Potato Wedges from From Gate to Plate.
- Garlic Fried Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts.
- Garlic Soup with Cheese & Garlic Olive Crunch Bread from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen.
- Garlic Trifecta with Quinoa Pasta and Spinach from Peaceful Cooking.
- Gnocchetti with Asparagus and Garlic-Gorgonzola Sauce from The Spiffy Cookie.
- Roasted Garlic Butter from Basic N Delicious.
- Roasted Garlic Chicken Pizza Pockets from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings.
- Slow-Roasted Lamb with 40 Cloves of Garlic from Food Lust People Love.
- Vampire Garlic Dip from Kudos Kitchen By Renee.