Bake this chocolate almond flour cake in a cute heart shaped cake pan and it will become the perfect Valentine’s Day cake! This low carb chocolate cake is made with almond flour and covered with sugar-free chocolate ganache. There is NO REFINED SUGAR in this dessert! An almond flour cake for two that tastes indulgent, but it isn’t loaded with calories or carbs!
I’m a sucker for Valentine desserts, or for that matter, desserts any day of the year. After all, I am a lover of carbs, but sadly, my hips protest indulgent treats.
So, a couple of years ago, I began eating a low carb diet. I tried a keto lifestyle, but after 30 days, the addict in me was too grumpy to keep going. That’s when I began making and sharing lower carb recipes here.
Chocolate Almond Flour Cake Recipe Notes:
Because the cake is low in sugar and there’s no gluten in the batter, the structure is very soft and moist. This makes for delicious eating, but it’s a bit challenging to create a traditional layer cake from it.
That’s why chocolate ganache makes the perfect topping. It glides effortlessly over the top and sides of the cake, covering and filling in any cracks along the way.
If you find yourself without any heavy cream in the house, use my recipe for making chocolate ganache without heavy cream!
- The recipe as shown below is enough to make one thick 8-inch Valentine’s Day cake or a standard 9-inch cake.
- If you plan to make the almond flour cake for Valentine’s Day, use a cute 8-inch heart shaped cake pan for a festive touch. This is the cake pan I recommend because it has a nice non-stick coating that won’t flake off easily.
My sweetener of choice is plant based. I use erythritol because it’s low glycemic and it measures cup for cup to regular sugar.
I like this particular brand because it’s non-GMO and much less expensive than some of the competing brands. You can even buy powdered erythritol.
That being said, if you would rather make an indulgent treat, this Valentine’s Day cake can also be made with traditional granulated cane sugar. Of course, the nutritional information shown in the recipe applies to the use of the ingredients as shown. Or for another sweet treat, try my friend Carla’s recipe for a small 6 inch chocolate cake for two.
Weight Watchers Freestyle Smart Points Nutritional Information
Based on the ingredients noted in the recipe, one slice of this delicious chocolate cake for two has 7 Weight Watchers Smart Points (based on the Freestyle program).
On Valentine’s Day, will you make this recipe for low carb chocolate almond flour cake, or do you have a different dessert for two in mind?
I’d love for you to leave me a comment, and if you try the recipe, please leave a star rating on it. Your comments and ratings help other readers know what to expect when they make it. THANKS!
Chocolate Almond Flour Cake Recipe
Chocolate Almond Flour Cake (low carb chocolate cake)
For The Cake:
For Chocolate Ganache:
- 6 ounces sugar-free chocolate chips, (about 3/4 cup)
- 6 ounces heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease bottom and sides of an 8" baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup Erythritol, and the vanilla extract until smooth.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer fitted with a whip attachment, whip the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Slowly beat in the remaining 1/4 cup erythritol. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flours, baking powder and salt, then add to the egg yolks. Stir everything together to form a thick dough.
- Gently fold in the egg whites, 1/2 cup at a time, incorporating them fully between each addition. The final addition should result in a smooth, fluffy batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Place the pan on the center rack and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven and allow cake to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the inside edge of the pan to loosen the sides, then turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- After the cake has cooled, make and decorate the cake with chocolate ganache or the topping of your choice.
- Place chocolate into a heat proof bowl; Set aside.
- Heat cream in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until it just begins to steam and small bubbles appear along the edge of the pan.
- Pour hot cream over the chocolate chips and allow it to sit untouched for 3 minutes, then stir ingredients to combine. The ganache should be shiny and smooth. Ganache will be completely liquid when poured, but will thicken upon standing or upon refrigeration.
- Weight Watchers Smart Points (based on Freestyle program) per slice = 7
- *If you don't want to use 1 Tablespoon coconut flour, it can be omitted completely, or substituted with 3 Tablespoons almond flour, or 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour