Slow Cooker Meatloaf is one of the most popular dinner recipes on It’s Yummi! Meal prep is quick and easy with this Slow Cooker Meatloaf recipe, and your crock pot does all of the cooking!
This meatloaf bursts with Italian flavor and is SO juicy and delicious! It’s definitely one of our favorite slow cooker recipes for a healthy comfort food dinner.
I’ve made a lot of meatloaf recipes over the years, including my healthy Veggie Stuffed Meatloaf.
This low carb slow cooker meatloaf recipe is honestly my favorite, though. I never would have thought crock pot meatloaf would taste better than oven baked meatloaf, but it does! The healthy hack of using zucchini to replace bread crumbs lowers the carbs and keeps the meat loaf moist.
Substitute for Bread Crumbs in Meatloaf
Using shredded zucchini as a substitute for bread crumbs in meatloaf eliminates several grams worth of carbs. Such a smart, healthy choice! Other substitutes for bread crumbs (these are not low carb options) include:
- Rolled oats – You can use traditional or gluten-free rolled oats, but I don’t suggest using quick cooking oats, as they’ll get too mushy.
- Crushed corn flakes are another great gluten free option.
- Mashed potato flakes are great for adding structure to an otherwise loose meatloaf mixture, and I use them to thicken soup as well!
- Finely ground almond flour OR almond meal
Meatloaf Recipe Tips:
- Use an aluminum foil sling to secure the meatloaf in place
For easy removal of the meatloaf from the pan, line the slow cooker with strips of aluminum foil. Weave several strips together, assuring that the meat has a nice bed to cradle into. Make sure the strips are long enough that they come up higher than the meatloaf
- Spray the foil with olive oil to prevent the meat loaf from sticking
NOTE: The zucchini in the meat loaf mixture makes it very loose compared to a traditional meatloaf mixture. Be careful when you’re transferring the uncooked mixture into the slow cooker so that it doesn’t fall apart before you have a chance to settle it in there.
When I saw how wet the mixture was, I was convinced that it would never come together into a nice loaf. But I was wrong! I cooked it on high power for 2 hours and 45 minutes and the loaf was perfectly firm.
After you make this slow cooker meatloaf recipe, please come back and rate the recipe!
Slow Cooker Meatloaf Recipe
- Olive oil in a spritzer bottle or olive oil cooking spray
- 2 pounds extra lean ground sirloin or ground bison
- 2 large eggs
- 1 zucchini grated and excess liquid squeezed out
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup fresh parsley finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons minced dry onion or onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
FOR THE TOPPING
- ¼ cup no sugar added tomato sauce or no sugar added ketchup
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese or 2-3 slices
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Line a large (6 quart or larger) slow cooker with strips of aluminum foil. Spray the foil with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for cooking spray and the topping ingredients. Mixture WILL BE loose/wet. This is expected.
- Carefully transfer mixture into the slow cooker and form into an oblong shaped loaf, setting it on top of the aluminum foil strips. Place lid on top of slow cooker.
- Cook on high power for 3 hours or low power for 6 hours. 15 minutes before the end of the cook time, turn the heat off and unplug the slow cooker. Remove the lid and spread ketchup over the top of the meatloaf. Place cheese on top of ketchup and replace the lid onto the slow cooker. Allow the meat loaf to sit for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- To remove loaf from the slow cooker, remove lid, hold each end of the strips in each hand , and carefully lift. Transfer the loaf to serving platter and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve and enjoy!