Low carb slow cooker meatloaf is one of my favorite low carb dinner recipes! It has great Italian flavor and uses a special low carb ingredient, zucchini, to replace the often-used bread crumbs that are seen in most meat loaf recipes.
I can’t believe that I’m turning a half century old this Thursday! They say you’re only as old as you feel, but since my body is falling apart, I think I’ll avoid thinking about how old I feel and focus on the age! Bring on those 50 candles and let’s have a bonfire. If nothing else, it will help get rid of the polar vortex. 😉
To make sure that this 50th birthday celebration is one that none of us will soon forget, I invited a few of my awesome blogging friends to help me celebrate. Here’s who I currently love more than bacon:
The girls are crafting up delicious, birthday themed dishes on their blogs this week. Today’s recipe is nothing short of amazing.
Disclosure: I received a free copy of the eBook from Olena, but this review is 100% from my heart and in my own words.
I’ve purchased quite a few e-cookbooks over the years. Some are well written, but most of them are mediocre at best. Poor photos (or none at all), grammatical errors, poor design, or just overpriced. Overall, a poor value for the investment.
Thankfully, that is not the case with this ebook. The photos in the book are gorgeous, and Olena’s recipes have complete nutritional information, including Weight Watchers Plus points. Very impressive!
All 30 recipes in the book are in an easy-to-read layout, with regular, every day ingredients that you can easily find at a grocery store. I can honestly say that’s not always the case with healthy food recipes. I once found a whole/raw food recipe that called for a $14 bottle of some strange thickening agent that I couldn’t afford, let alone pronounce the name of. No thanks 🙂
I am in love with Olena’s low carb slow cooker meatloaf recipe.
To bind the low carb meatloaf together, you will use shredded zucchini instead of bread crumbs.
That step alone eliminates several grams worth of carbs. Such a smart choice!
Cooking Tips for making this Low Carb Slow Cooker Meatloaf:
For easy removal of the meatloaf from the pan, Olena suggests lining the slow cooker with strips of aluminum foil. That is such a helpful tip! I went ahead and used a large amount, assuring that the meat had a nice bed to cradle into. I sprayed the foil with some olive oil to prevent the meat loaf from sticking, and it worked like a charm.
NOTE: The zucchini in the meat loaf mixture makes it very loose compared to a traditional meatloaf mixture. Be careful when you’re transferring the uncooked mixture into the slow cooker so that it doesn’t fall apart before you have a chance to settle it in there.
When I saw how wet the mixture was, I was convinced that it would never come together into a nice loaf. But I was wrong! I cooked it on high power for 2 hours and 45 minutes and the loaf was perfectly firm.
Here’s the recipe for Olena’s delicious meatloaf, written (with her permission) in my own words, of course (to avoid plagiarism).
After you make this low carb slow cooker meatloaf recipe, please come back and let me know what you think of it!
This easy slow cooker Italian meat loaf is made with lean ground sirloin, freshly grated zucchini, and zesty Italian spices & herbs. Your family will LOVE this, and your kids will never know they're eating healthy vegetables!
- Olive oil in a spritzer bottle, or non-stick cooking spray
- 2 pounds extra lean ground sirloin (or bison)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (about 1 medium size) zucchini, grated and excess liquid squeezed out
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 4 cloves freshly minced garlic
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons minced dry onion or onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea or Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1/4 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded or 2-3 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Line a large (6 quart or larger) slow cooker with strips of aluminum foil. Spray the foil with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for cooking spray and the topping ingredients. Mixture WILL BE loose/wet. This is expected.
- Carefully transfer mixture into the slow cooker and form into an oblong shaped loaf, setting it on top of the aluminum foil strips. Place lid on top of slow cooker.
- Cook on high power for 3 hours or low power for 6 hours. 15 minutes before the end of the cook time, turn the heat off and unplug the slow cooker. Remove the lid and spread ketchup over the top of the meatloaf. Place cheese on top of ketchup and replace the lid onto the slow cooker. Allow the meat loaf to sit for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- To remove loaf from the slow cooker, remove lid, hold each end of the strips in each hand , and carefully lift. Transfer the loaf to serving platter and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe Credit: iFOODReal e-Cookbook, 30 Clean Quick Dinner Recipes
|Serving Size||1/8th loaf|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 292kcal Calories from fat 150|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 17g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||35%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Thank you so much for visiting me today!
If you make this recipe, I'd love it if you'd share a photo and/or give your feedback over on my Facebook page, Cooking with Chef Bec!
Oh, and if you’re looking for another healthier meatloaf recipe to try, check out this delicious looking turkey meatloaf from Melanie Makes.