This mozzarella sticks recipe makes a healthy snacking option, because they’re baked, not fried. If you’re eating gluten free, you’ll be happy, because there’s a gluten-free recipe option, too. Everyone can enjoy the ooey, gooey, cheesy goodness of baked mozzarella sticks!
Are mozzarella sticks gluten free?
Well, not quite. A stick of mozzarella string cheese by itself is gluten free. But unless you use gluten free bread crumbs to make this mozzarella sticks recipe, will not be gluten free. Fortunately, I share both a regular version and a gluten free mozzarella sticks recipe down below.
How do you keep mozzarella sticks hot?
If you’ve ever bitten into what was supposed to be a warm, oozing mozzarella stick, only to find it cold and hard, I feel you. Keeping warm appetizers from getting cold at a party can be tricky. The good news is, I know a way to keep mozzarella sticks hot for the life of your party.
In a Slow Cooker
- Place a metal or silicone trivet into the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Wrap a double layer of aluminum foil over the trivet and set the warm mozzarella sticks onto the foil.
- Turn the slow cooker onto low power and place the lid on, slightly ajar, so they stay warm without cooking. If you have a “keep warm” setting on your slow cooker, even better; the baked mozzarella sticks will stay perfectly warm!
Need Other Football Food Ideas?
If you like warm appetizers and snacks like this mozzarella sticks recipe, you should try these, too!
I hope you enjoy this gluten free baked mozzarella sticks recipe!
If you make (or plan to make) the recipe, will you please leave me a comment below and rate the recipe?
15 Minute Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
- ⅓ cup brown rice flour or all-purpose flour (not gluten-free)
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs or Italian flavored panko bread crumbs
- cooking spray
- 8 each mozzarella string cheese
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- Heat oven to 425F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Arrange flour, beaten egg and free bread crumbs into 3 separate platters or pie plates.
- Dip cheese first into flour, then beaten egg, then bread crumbs, using one hand for the dry dip and one hand for the egg dip.
- Lay the cheese sticks onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place cheese sticks in oven and bake for 5-8 minutes, turning over halfway through bake time. Cheese sticks are done when breading is slightly crispy and cheese is oozing.
- Arrange on platter and serve with warm marinara sauce.