Cannoli cupcakes are inspired by the popular Italian dessert. Moist cinnamon cupcakes, topped with fluffy mascarpone buttercream and a sprinkling of chocolate chips and powdered sugar.
This cannoli cupcakes recipe is one of the delicious recipes in the cookbook, Simply Beautiful Homemade Cakes, by Lindsay Conchar. The publisher, Page Street Publishing, provided me with a free copy of the book for review purposes. I did not receive any further compensation, and all thoughts and opinions here are my own.
This may sound odd, but I have never tasted an authentic Italian cannoli. Perhaps it’s because I live in Wisconsin, where we prefer doughnuts over pastries. Honestly, I’ve never even seen an Italian bakery in Wisconsin.
Not a problem for me, though, because I adore mascarpone cheese, and that is what’s used to create the frosting for these cupcakes. Creamy mascarpone buttercream frosting, swirled over the tops of moist cinnamon cupcakes.
Seriously, when I think of these cannoli cupcakes, heavenly is the first word that pops into my mind.
As previously mentioned, credit for this cupcakes recipe goes to Lindsay Conchar. She’s the talent behind Life, Love, and Sugar, and the author of Simply Beautiful Homemade Cakes: Extraordinary Recipes and Easy Decorating Techniques.
The cookbook is filled with 65 cake and cupcake recipes, each one completely drool worthy. Lindsay’s cakes and cupcakes are absolutely stunning, so of course, I had a tough time deciding which recipe to make. The photography in the book is outstanding!
The book includes more than beautiful cake and cupcake recipes, though. It also includes step by step photo tutorials, and very helpful tips and techniques for making desserts that you will be proud of. Lindsay explains how to create perfectly even cake layers, how to apply a crumb coat, how to create and pipe frosting onto cupcakes, and so much more.
With recipes for desserts like Birthday Explosion Ice Cream Cake, Chocolate Mousse Brownie Cake, and these Cannoli Cupcakes, you will be one happy baker with this book in your hands!
Here’s the cannoli cupcakes recipe. Enjoy!
Light cinnamon cupcakes, topped with creamy mascarpone buttercream frosting. Garnished with mini chocolate chips and a dusting of powdered sugar.
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoons sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups (6.6 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons (3 ounces) milk
- 2 Tablespoons (1 ounce) water
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugars together until light and creamy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the sour cream and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Add the egg whites, one at a time, and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a small measuring cup, whisk together the milk and water. Alternately add the flour and milk to the batter, mixing well after each addition, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix until well incorporated.
- Fill the cupcake liners about half full with batter. Bake the cupcakes for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the Frosting
- Beat the mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract together on medium-low speed until smooth. Be careful not to over mix as the mascarpone can get thin and watery.
- Place frosting into a piping bag fitted with Wilton Tip 1M, 2D, or Ateco 844. Frost the tops of the cupcakes, then garnish with mini chocolate chips and a light dusting of powdered sugar.
Excerpted from Simply Beautiful Homemade Cakes : Extraordinary Recipes and Easy Decorating Techniques, by Lindsay Conchar. Copyright © 2016. Reprinted with permission from Page Street Publishing Co. All rights reserved.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 383kcal Calories from fat 183|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 20g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||60%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Thank you so much for visiting me today!
If you make this recipe, I'd love it if you'd share a photo and/or give your feedback over on my Facebook page, Cooking with Chef Bec!