Dark chocolate ganache nestled into a tender pastry crust, then topped with fresh strawberries. This chocolate tart recipe makes a beautiful Valentine’s Day dessert, or serve it for Mother’s Day or special occasions any time!
Chocolate ganache desserts always look impressive, are easy to make, and of course, are decadent and delicious! This beautiful dark chocolate ganache tart is no exception. Just look at this beautiful chocolate dessert!
What is chocolate ganache?
Made from equal parts chocolate and heavy cream, chocolate ganache is a dessert sauce. It can be used as a glaze, icing, frosting, or filling for pastries, cakes, cookies, and other desserts.
As chocolate ganache cools, it thickens, allowing it to be whipped into ganache frosting.
Can I make dark chocolate ganache with milk?
Yes, you can! To lower the fat and calories in this chocolate tart recipe, make the dark chocolate ganache with milk instead of cream. Use my recipe for chocolate ganache without cream, substituting dark chocolate for bittersweet.
How to make a chocolate tart crust
Making the crust for this chocolate tart is very similar to making any pastry dough. The key to a tender, flaky crust is to avoid over mixing it. If you own one, you can even make pastry dough in a food processor.
More chocolate ganache desserts to make:
- Chocolate Ganache Filled Peanut Butter Cookie Cups
- 20 Chocolate Ganache Desserts That Will Make You Swoon
- Peanut Butter Brownies with Chocolate Ganache Frosting
If you make (or plan to make) the dark chocolate ganache tart, please leave a comment below. I would love to hear what you think of it!
Dark Chocolate Ganache Tart with Strawberries
FOR THE TART CRUST:
- 1.25 cups (5.5 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) very cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE FILLING:
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1.25 cups (10 oz.) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (2 oz.) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut in half
FOR THE TOP:
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 2 cups medium-sized strawberries, or fresh berries of your choice
MAKE THE TART CRUST:
- Place flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and ginger into a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in the butter until it is well incorporated. If you have a food processor, you can use it to combine the dough, if desired.
- Add the egg yolk and use a fork or your food processor to combine the mixture together. The mixture will look shaggy and crumbly but should be slightly moist, holding together when pressed. If mixture will not hold together, add 1 teaspoon of cool water and try again.
- Transfer the tart dough into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Use your fingers to press the crust into the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Chill the pan of crust in a freezer for an hour. This will keep the tart crust from puffing up during baking.
- While the tart shell is chilling, make the dark chocolate ganache filling.
MAKE CHOCOLATE GANACHE FILLING:
- Add chocolate pieces to a heatproof medium bowl; set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring heavy cream to a very low simmer, until it's steaming, and tiny bubbles form around the edge.
- Pour half of the heated cream over the chocolate pieces and let it rest for about 1 minute. The chocolate will be starting to melt. Use a whisk and start to incorporate the melted chocolate into the cream. Slowly begin to add the remaining cream and whisk until the chocolate mixture is smooth and glossy. Add the butter and use a spatula to stir until the butter is melted. The mixture should be dark and glossy. Set aside at room temperature while you bake the crust.
BAKE TART CRUST
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove pan of crust from freezer. Butter a piece of aluminum foil and place the butter side down on top of the chilled tart shell. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the buttered foil and continue baking for another 15 minutes or until the tart shell has turned golden brown.
- Allow shell to cool completely (about an hour) before removing from pan.
- Transfer crust to a cake stand or serving platter. Fill with chocolate ganache and garnish.
FILL AND GARNISH:
- Gently rinse strawberries with cool water and pat dry with paper towels. If desired, keep several berries whole for visual presentation; remaining berries should be hulled and sliced in half lengthwise
- Pour the filling into the crust and spread the chocolate ganache inside of the cooled tart shell. Top with fresh berries and whipped cream as desired.
- The tart is best served on the day it is made. Leftovers should be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated.
- This dark chocolate ganache tart is best served on the day it is made. Leftovers should be wrapped in plastic wrap and kept refrigerated.
Tart Recipe Variations
- Instead of dark chocolate ganache, make the tart using milk chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, or even chocolate ganache without cream.
- Top your chocolate tart with fresh berries of your choice. Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, or mixed berries.