Easy Homemade Taco Sauce that easily is the same (if not better) than store bought. Ditch the store-bought taco sauces and make some delicious and economically friendly taco sauce.
Homemade taco sauce has a history in our household. It’s easily one of the main staples in our home. We love anything with a bit of Mexican flavor.
It all began when one day I realized there was some unnecessary ingredients in my favorite store-bought taco sauce. I also was going through so much taco sauce and realized how much I was spending on taco sauce.
Think of it like hot sauce. I put it on almost everything: tacos, enchiladas, taco salad, eggs, enchilada rice casseroles, chicken enchilada soup. You get the put.. it goes on everything in our household. So we had to start making our own for budget and to have a bit more control over our ingredients.
How to Make Homemade Taco Sauce
It really is rather simple. You jut need a few basic ingredients that you see below. ALL of these ingredients can be found in your pantry.
What you see below: tomato sauce, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, vinegar, water and sugar.
Yep. You are so close to being able to make your own taco sauce. (See recipe card at the bottom of the post to see exactly what time of amount you will need for both)
Storing and Freezing Homemade Taco Sauce
- Storing – You will want to store this sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to a week. It will separate a bit while it sits in the fridge so be sure to just shake it up before use.
- Freezing – If you find this batch makes too much for your family to use up in a week you can take this sauce and freeze it. Be aware that this WILL expand when frozen so be sure to leave plenty of room if you are freezing to allow it to expand.
Dishes you can enjoy with Taco Sauce
I kind of went on a roll with what we devour with our taco sauce but here are a few other ideas for you in case you need some more inspiration.
Easy Homemade Taco Sauce
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or 1/4 tsp for less spice)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 3 teaspoons sugar or honey
- Stir all ingredients together in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Cook at a simmer until sauce thickens a bit and reaches your desired consistency. We advise to cook at least 13-15minutes on a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Cool sauce and serve. Store in an airtight container up to 7 days in the refrigerator or freeze within 7 days.