Easy vegetarian minestrone soup is the dinner for busy weeknights, coming together in under 20 minutes. Kidney and cannellini beans provide protein, and the garden vegetables and rich tomato stock pack it with healthy flavor.
I created this easy vegetarian minestrone soup recipe couple of years ago, as a guest post for my friend Brianne. Chilly weather and soup season are around the corner, so now I want to share the recipe with you.
My parents owned a small Christian bookstore when I was growing up, so there weren’t many opportunities to teach me how to cook or bake. Even when there was time, I didn’t have much interest in learning, but Mom taught me how to make some easy dinners, like tuna mac.
When I started culinary training, I was a 45 year old woman who didn’t know her way around a kitchen. I prepared spaghetti or canned soup for dinner most nights, and cut and slice cookie dough was dessert.
In training, I learned how to properly sear a piece of meat to keep it juicy on the inside. I learned how to braise meat for the perfect batch of beef bourguignon, combine ingredients that wouldn’t typically go well together into an amazing pot of bison and black bean chili, and make fluffly buttercream frosting for a batch of blackberry lime cupcakes.
It was eye opening to learn that it’s easier and less expensive to make my own version of convenience products. My recipe for homemade Bisquick is the most popular and most pinned recipe on this website!
The big takeaway from 3 years of training is that cooking doesn’t have to be difficult. Have a plan (either notes or a written recipe), a proper mise en place (ingredients prepared before you start), and some patience.
This easy vegetarian minestrone soup comes together easily and quickly, making it the perfect weeknight meal. If you’d like to add some meat, turkey sausage, beef, or chicken would be fantastic additions. I added cocktail sized meatballs to this the last time I made it, and it was fantastic.
Don’t forget to make some biscuits to serve with the soup!
Enjoy this easy vegetarian minestrone soup recipe.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, diced small
- 1 cup celery, diced small
- 1 large yellow or white onion, thinly sliced or diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt (optional)
- 14 ounces (1 can) kidney beans
- 14 ounces (1 can) cannellini beans
- 24 ounces vegetable stock
- 28 ounces diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces (dry) elbow macaroni
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Place oil into a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat.
- Add carrots,celery, and onion to pot and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Turn heat to medium and add garlic. Continue cooking for 2 minutes or until vegetables have softened and are fragrant.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot, except for the pasta. Stir to combine, increase heat to medium high and bring to a low boil.
- Add pasta to pot and cook for 7-8 minutes, or until pasta is al dente. If soup appears too thick, add more vegetable stock or water to reach desired consistency.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.