Lasagna Roll Ups are filled with sweet Italian sausage, spinach, ricotta and marinara for a magically delicious dinner experience. All the comfort and deliciousness of traditional lasagna with the benefit of being easier and faster to make.
Lasagna Roll Ups are arguably the best way to enjoy one of our absolute favorite comfort foods. Growing up, Lasagna was a staple.
Enter adulthood, when we learned that lasagna is NOT as easy as mom made it appear to be. (Pause for mom appreciation moment.) With our busy, bustling lives … balancing work, family and amazing flavor can be a serious challenge.
Lasagna Roll Ups are the answer. The delicious, amazing, nibble worthy, veggies added solution.
Lasagna Roll Ups 101
For this recipe, it’s really savory simplicity. All you’ll need:
- Lasagna noodles, Italian sausage, olive oil, spinach, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, an egg, salt, pepper, marinara sauce (we prefer homemade marinara sauce) and mozzarella cheese come together for these amazing roll ups.
- You can add or substitute other veggies, cheeses and seasoning as desired. Not a fan of ricotta? Go ahead and cut it out. These rolls ups are super versatile.
- BONUS: You can make a variety of roll ups to make even the pickiest eaters happy. We LOVE being able to have what we want in these roll ups – but the kiddos can have theirs without spinach if they’re going through that phase.
Store and savor your lasagna roll ups
Proper storage: The best place to store your rolls ups is in the fridge in an airtight container. It’s important to keep the moisture in so the noodles don’t get crunchy and dry.
Can I freeze lasagna roll ups? Yes. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. Your roll ups will last up to 3 months.
How to reheat: We recommend returning your roll ups to the oven. Add a little water on top of each roll to infuse some moisture back in. Roughly 15 minutes at 375 degrees should do the trick. (Check around 10 minutes) This is the best way to restore that fresh lasagna experience.
Follow up with dessert: We have a few recommendations for that very important follow up meal. Dessert. Yummmmm. We recommend key lime cheesecake, or if you’re into chocolate, how about a double chocolate bundt cake. It’s topped with our famous 3-ingredient chocolate ganache (made without heavy cream!)
What to serve with your roll ups
As we mentioned above, these rolls ups are super easy to modify based on your personal tastes or when cooking for a crowd. We’ve already recommended some desserts that pair well. Time to bring on the side dishes!
- Homemade garlic bread, because we can’t even begin to imagine lasagna without the garlic bread!
- Get fancy with some stuffed mushrooms with tomato and feta.
- Bacon wrapped asparagus is a great side dish. Plus, BACON!
No matter what stuffing you select, or side dish you pair with, one thing is for certain. These lasagna roll ups are all amazing, no regrets. Comfort food at its best. Just. So. Yummi.
Lasagna Roll Ups with Sausage and Spinach
- 8 lasagna noodles, cooked al-dente
- 1 pound ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive or grapeseed oil
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and completely drained
- 8 oz fat free ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- salt and fresh pepper
- 32 oz marinara sauce (homemade or jarred)
- 1 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Ladle about 1 cup marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned and no pink remains. Remove from heat, drain, and let cool slightly.
- Combine cooked sausage, spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, HALF of the mozzarella, egg, salt, black and red pepper (if using), in a medium bowl.
- Place a piece of wax or parchment paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. If necessary, pat noodles dry with paper toweling.
- Take 1/4 cup of sausage mixture and spread evenly over one noodle. Repeat until all noodles are covered. Roll each noodle carefully and place seam side down into the baking dish.
- Ladle sauce over the noodles in the baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of mozzerella cheese over noodles.
- Cover and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese melts.