Bacon is all around this chicken bacon and cheese egg white quiche! Come into my virtual kitchen and I'll help you make up a pan full for your next weekend brunch!
As we near the end of #baconmonth 2013, I've found myself wanting to add bacon to everrrrything. I even tried crumbled bacon on peanut butter toast last week. Definitely tasty, but seriously not blog worthy. I mean, come on... Don't we all know how to place a slice of bread into a toaster slot and push down the lever, spread peanut butter onto the warm toast, and top with precooked bacon pieces? #DoneDeal
Anyhoo, this recipe for chicken, bacon, & cheese egg white quiche is at least 5 steps long. Blog worthy, to be sure. Especially since it's so yummi, I've got a strong feeling that you'll want to print the recipe out and plaster it onto your refrigerator door. Wait. Maybe I'm the only person who does that. No matter, you really should get one of these baked up soon.
Isn't it pretty? Did you know that crispy bacon has magical powers and pretties up just about everything it touches?
Aside of being absolutely delicious, I suppose you could say that this quiche is SOMEWHAT healthier because I used egg whites instead of whole eggs, leaving it light and fluffy and fat free. OK, that's a lie. I used heavy cream and high fat cheese, so never mind. Let's just PRETEND that it's healthier and eat up before it gets cold, m'kay?
CHICKEN BACON AND CHEESE EGG WHITE QUICHE
- 1 prepared, blind baked, deep dish pie crust
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 whole large egg
- 3 ounces cooked chicken breast, diced
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crisply and crumbled
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus 2 Tablespoons
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, Half 'n Half, or whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Blind bake a scratch or store bought pie crust for 10 minutes. (This helps to prevent a soggy crust). Remove from oven and allow to cool while you prepare the filling.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, whole egg, salt, pepper, thyme, and heavy cream until well combined.
- Layer cooked chicken, bacon, and 1/4 cup cheese in the bottom of pie crust. Pour filling over the top of ingredients. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons cheese over top of filling.
- Bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes, or until filling is completely set. Remove from oven and serve warm, garnishing with extra cooked bacon pieces, if desired.