Chocolate dessert lasagna (sometimes called chocolate lush) is a no bake chocolate dessert that is completely irresistible! Layers of chocolate pudding, cream cheese, whipped cream, and chocolate chips sit on a chocolate cookie crust. I think chocolate lasagna may be the best chocolate dessert recipe to make when you need an easy chocolate fix! This post includes a Weight Watchers Freestyle recipe option, too!
It’s time for the February recipe collaboration group post! Last month, we shared our favorite slider sandwich recipes with you. With Valentine’s Day a couple of weeks away, this month’s theme is our favorite chocolate dessert recipes! Be sure to check out the list of delicious chocolate desserts at the end of this post.
What is Dessert Lasagna?
The first time I heard the term lasagna dessert recipe, I had a hard time visualizing a sweet lasagna. Lasagna is meant to be a warm, savory, comfort food dinner, not dessert! A couple of weeks later, I overheard a conversation between two ladies at the grocery store. One of them called it chocolate lasagna and the other called it chocolate lush. Wait. What?! A lush is someone who drinks too much alcohol, not a dessert! Oh, and I’ve also seen them called icebox cakes. I guess there are a lot of names for this simple, delicious layered dessert.
Regardless of what name you want to call them, no bake layered desserts are so easy to make!
What’s in a layered dessert lasagna?
A dessert lasagna starts with a crust layer, which is usually made with crushed cookies or graham crackers. I’ve seen them made with shortbread, too.
The other “required” components for a dessert lasagna recipe are layers of pudding or cheesecake filling and at least one layer of of whipped cream. Anything else you want to add to your no bake sweet lasagna is up to your imagination.
How about some fresh fruit? My friend Dorothy adds sliced bananas to her banana chocolate chip lush. Are you a fan of ice cream? You can add a layer of it to your dessert lasagna! My friend Amy did when she made Hot Fudge Caramel Ice Cream Bar cake. Whoa!
Are you a candy bar lover? Add a layer of them between the whipped cream and pudding, like Julianne does in her No Bake Snicker’s Icebox Cake recipe.
This chocolate dessert lasagna recipe I’m sharing today is very basic and uncomplicated, but so full of chocolate flavor that I think it’s perfect just as it is.
Making Weight Watchers Friendly Chocolate Lasagna
Do you need or want a lighter version of this delicious chocolate dessert recipe? You may recall that Hasome and I started the Weight Watchers Freestyle program a couple of weeks ago. We’re both losing weight at a steady pace, and I don’t want to sabotage that, so I lightened up the recipe and calculated the Weight Watchers Freestyle points for it. Now, let me tell you,at 17 points per serving, this indulgent chocolate dessert is something you would enjoy on a special occasion. Of course, you can ALSO cut smaller slices to lower the Smart Points. 😉
Lighter Chocolate Lasagna Recipe Ingredient Swaps:
- Reduced fat chocolate sandwich cookies
- Fat free cream cheese instead of full fat cream cheese
- Erythritol instead of granulated sugar
- Fat free Cool Whip
- Sugar free, fat free instant pudding mix
- unsweetened almond milk instead of regular milk
- I didn’t find good substitutes for the butter or the mini chocolate chips.
Warning: this dessert is very rich. Don’t let the creamy pudding and fluffy whipped cream fool you into thinking otherwise. Small portions are required. Pace yourself. 🙂
Chocolate Dessert Lasagna Recipe
- 36 chocolate sandwich cookies *
- 6 Tablespoons butter melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk **
- 12 ounces Cool Whip or whipped cream
- 2 packages (3.9 oz each) INSTANT chocolate pudding mix ***
- 3 1/4 cups milk **
- 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
- Use a food processor to grind sandwich cookies into fine crumbs, or place the cookies in a zip top plastic bag and crush them using a rolling pin.
- Transfer cookie crumbs into a large mixing bowl. Add melted butter and use a fork to combine, making sure to coat the crumbs completely. Press the cookie crumb mixture into the bottom of a freezer safe 9 x 13-inch pan. Refrigerate pan while you prepare the rest of the dessert.
- Place softened cream cheese into a large mixing bowl ( I reused the bowl I mixed the cookie crumbs in.) Use an electric hand mixer on high speed to mix the cream cheese until it's light and fluffy. Add the sugar and 2 Tablespoons of milk and mix on medium speed until well combined. Use a wooden spoon or mixing spatula to incorporate 1 1/4 cups of Cool Whip into the cream cheese mixture. Spread mixture evenly over the cookie crust.
- To a clean mixing bowl, add both packages of dry instant chocolate pudding mix and 3 1/4 cups cold milk. Whisk for a few minutes, until the pudding starts to thicken.
- Remove pan from refrigerator and use a rubber spatula to spread pudding evenly over the top cream cheese layer. Let the dessert rest for 5 minutes to further thicken the pudding. After 5 minutes, spread the remaining Cool Whip over the top of the pudding layer, then sprinkle mini chocolate chips evenly over the top of the Cool Whip.
- Refrigerate the dessert for 4 hours or freeze for 1 hour before serving.
- *If you want to make this a gluten-free dessert, be sure to use gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies
- **You can use any type of milk you normally drink. I used almond milk. Just be sure the milk is cold.
- ***Be sure to use instant pudding mix and NOT the cook and serve variety.
- Original recipe found on Center Cut Cook.
More Chocolate Dessert Recipes to Try:
- Chocolate Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
- Easy Chocolate Pudding Cupcakes
- Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
- Best Chocolate Fudge Recipe Ever
- Raspberry Chocolate Tart
- Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake Bites
- Easy Ritz Cracker Toffee
- Chocolate Nutella Fudge
- Chocolate Mousse Truffle Shots
- Chocolate Pound Cake
- Red Velvet Bundt Cake with Kahlua Ganache
- Flourless Black Bean Brownies
If you decide to make the no bake chocolate dessert lasagna recipe, please come back and leave me a comment and a rating for the recipe. I’d love to hear from you!