Chilled cucumber soup will be the refreshing star at your spring brunch or summer picnic this year! This blender soup recipe uses fresh cucumbers, healthy Greek yogurt and flavorful herbs for a refreshing appetizer, healthy lunch, or meatless meal! A vegetarian, low carb, and gluten-free recipe!
As a member of the Stonyfield Clean Plate Club. I received coupons for free product in exchange for writing this post, but all opinions are my own.
While baking a batch of strawberry yogurt cookies, I realized how often I add yogurt as a substitute for full fat ingredients like sour cream, butter, and oil. I have two good reasons for doing that. Their names are calories and cholesterol.
FOOD FACTS – Butter and Mayo vs. Greek Yogurt
Every tablespoon of real butter that slides across the tongue equals 102 calories and 12 grams of fat, 7 of which are saturated. Wow, that’s a danged delicious but artery clogging agent! In comparison, 1 tablespoon of nonfat plain Greek yogurt has just 10 calories and zero grams of fat! Even a tablespoon of the whole milk (full fat) Stonyfield yogurt only has 17 calories and just under 1 gram of fat.
Now play the same scenario with mayonnaise, an often-used ingredient in summer side dishes like potato salad. Compare 1 tablespoon of 10-calorie yogurt to 1 tablespoon of full fat mayo, holding a whopping 94 calories and 10 grams of fat. If that’s not a great reason to substitute yogurt for mayonnaise in your summer dishes, I don’t know what is!
This chilled cucumber soup is refreshing and healthy, and it’s comes with a boat load of flavor from the fresh dill, tarragon, and parsley that are in it.
The soup is low carb, gluten free, and vegetarian, making it perfect for meatless Monday meals! When you’re headed to the beach or on a picnic, take along a thermos of this delicious cucumber soup. You’ve found a great way to cool down from the summer sun!
Aching for more chilled soup recipes like this chilled cucumber soup?
Here are some chilled soup recipes from my blogging friends that sound incredibly delicious:
Confetti Gazpacho Recipe, from Kalyn’s Kitchen.
Cold Creamy Zucchini Soup, from Foodie with Family.
Chilled Avocado Soup with Coconut Milk, from Cookin’ Canuck.
I hope you enjoy this chilled cucumber soup!
Here are a few tools you may need to create this delicious chilled soup. I use these products personally, so I can vouch for their quality.
After you make this recipe, please come back and leave a comment to let me know what you think of it!
Chilled Cucumber Soup Recipe
This refreshing cucumber soup is flavored with fresh herbs and tangy yogurt, making it a delicious part of any summer meal!
- 2 large seedless (European) cucumbers, peeled; 1/2 cup diced small, the rest coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla flavored Greek or regular yogurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh dill weed
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons loosely packed tarragon leaves (about 10 leaves)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- In a blender, combine the chopped cucumber with the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, dill, parsley, tarragon and 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil. Blend on high speed for 2 minutes, until smooth. Season with salt, cover and refrigerate for 2-8 hours to allow flavors to meld and develop. (You can serve and eat right away, but the flavor of the soup won't be nearly as refined and delicious.)
- Taste the soup for proper seasoning again just before serving. Pour the soup into bowls. Garnish with the finely diced cucumber, red onion and a drizzle of olive oil, and serve.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 201kcal Calories from fat 151|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 17g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Thank you so much for visiting me today!
If you make this recipe, I'd love it if you'd share a photo and/or give your feedback over on my Facebook page, Cooking with Chef Bec!
For more yogurt recipes, check out my lemon pound cake and fruit kebabs with yogurt dip. It’ll make a delicious dessert after your chilled soup!